var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-17798720-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.myfspl.org']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
- Access NewspaperARCHIVE.com — Check out the world’s largest institution-accessible historic newspaper database with newspapers that date back as far as 1759 (The Edinburgh Chronicle) and through 1977 including papers from all 50 states, Canada, the UK, Jamaica, and others. By vendor contract rules, this website is accessible from FSPL’s four locations ONLY (NOT from home).
- African American Heritage — A groundbreaking digital resource exclusively devoted to African American family history research; search essential historical records for African Americans, including Federal Census, Marriage and Cohabitation Records, Military Draft and Service Records, Registers of Slaves and Free(d) Persons of Color, Freedman’s Bank, and more. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Ancestry: Library Edition — Genealogy information for everyone! Find birth and death records, census records, military records, immigration records, court, land, probate records, newspapers and periodicals — and so much more. By vendor contract rules, this website is accessible from FSPL’s four locations ONLY (NOT from home).
- Arkansas Driving-Tests.org — Free Department of Motor Vehicles permit practice tests for Automobile Drivers License, Motorcycle License, and Commercial Drivers License (CMD)! Great studying materials to show you if you are ready to take your drivers license permit test. BE PREPARED!
- CultureGrams — Primary source material including cultural & statistical country reports (with photos, videos, slideshows, interviews, recipes, flags, graphs and tables) covering the world, states & Canadian provinces. In addition to the World, States, Provinces Editions, there is also a Kids Edition. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
— The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture is a comprehensive reference work for historians, teachers, students, and individuals for the purpose of promoting the study, understanding, and appreciation of Arkansas’s heritage. This online encyclopedia, which debuted to the public in May 2006, strives to offer a definitive, comprehensive, and accurate record of Arkansas, the twenty-fifth state. In 2015, the Encyclopedia contains more than 3,700 entries PLUS more than 5,000 pieces of related media (photos, maps, documents, video and audio files). It is maintained by the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies at the Central Arkansas Library System in Little Rock, the only state encyclopedia in the country to be produced by a library system.
- Facts on File — Facts On File‘s online reference databases are curriculum-oriented, interactive databases covering a wide range of subjects, such as history, science, careers, literature, geography, and more. Each subject-specific database offers students and researchers an unprecedented depth of coverage with extensively hyperlinked full-text records, citation information, and a wide range of printable teacher resources. Facts On File‘s online content is indexed by subject experts and updated regularly to ensure accuracy and currency. FSPL has subscriptions for American History Online, American Women’s History Online, African-American History Online, American Indian History Online, Modern World History Online, Ancient and Medieval History Online, Science Online, Bloom’s Literary Reference Online, Issues and Controversies, and Issues and Controversies in American History.
- FirstSearch (OCLC) —
For access to a rich collection of reference databases, use FirstSearch to find magazine articles and books from a collection of dozens of databases and more than 10 million full-text and full-image articles. FirstSearch is accessible from the Library’s four locations ONLY but will be available from home sometime in the future. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Freegal — Freegal (meaning Free + Legal) is a downloadable music service that works with your FSPL library card number. NO digital rights management (DRM) issues to deal with! Freegal limits users to 5 downloads per week from the Sony Music Entertainment catalog — a collection of hundreds of thousands of songs, over 100 genres of music, and more than 50 record labels. Download music to your PC from the above link without having to download special software (music goes to your Download folder); there is also a Freegal App for your iPhone/iPod/iPad or Android phone.
For more information: Freegal General Information or Freegal Troubleshooting Information
NOTE: Access to Freegal from this website is limited to FSPL cardholders with accounts in good standing (current address with fines under $2.00 and no overdue materials).
- Gale Discovering Collection — 19 different databases such as Exploring Shakespeare, Gale Encyclopedia of Multicultural America: Primary Documents, American Eras, and many more; these databases cover the subjects of literature, history, biographies, science, and social studies.
Link works in the Library and elsewhere. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library — This database includes thousands of reference titles — biographies, histories, encyclopediae, etc. — in e-book format. Simply browse the listing of reference books shown or conduct searches by subject, author, and/or title.
When outside the Library, please enter your Library card number when prompted.
- Heritage Quest Online — This genealogy resource contains census data, family records, local histories and other artifacts to help you find out more about your family’s past.
Select HERE to Enter Heritage Quest Online from home.
Please enter your Library card number when prompted. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Kanopy — Watch over 30,000 Documentaries, Classic and Indie Films. You must create an account, then verify your email address. Once your email address is verified then you will need to add your library card number to your account. When the library card number has been added, you can start watching. Each month you will have 6 play credits. Any movie that you select will be available for unlimited viewing for 72 hours. Kanopy can be viewed on a computer or an app available on iPhone, iPad, Android, Apple TV, Roku, or Fire Tablet.
- LearningExpress — This resource offers targeted practice exams with instant
scoring, individual analysis and personalized recommendations. In addition, LearningExpress offers test-preparation materials and study aids that provide practical tips and information on best practices in the field of your choice. LearningExpress also provides parents and students with test-taking tools for success in school.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, LearningExpress does not have practice materials for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) test. Please click HERE to link to these available practice materials for educators. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Library2Go Downloadable Media — If you enjoy listening to your books on your own digital media player (iPod, MP3 player, phone, etc.) OR if you would like to read books on your computer, tablet, phone, or electronic reader, you will really enjoy the Library’s downloadable audiobooks and ebooks from Overdrive. This quickly growing collection of audiobooks and ebooks (plus a few films) are part of Library2Go, a partnership of 17 Arkansas libraries of which Fort Smith Public Library is a founding member.
For more information and downloading instructions, check out OverDrive Help.
- Mango Languages — Over 40 foreign languages to explore! More than 15 ESL courses taught in your native language! Use our Mango Languages database to learn anytime and anywhere with remote access and FREE mobile apps! For a list of available languages and ESL languages plus instructions on how to get started from your computer as well as mobile devices, click HERE.
- MedlinePlus — Find dependable, authoritative, up-to-date medical information from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over 650 diseases and conditions. There are also lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and a medical dictionary, health information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands of clinical trials. Updated daily.
- New York Times Newspaper (Online Access) —Within the library, please visit New York Times website and create an account or log into your account for access. Outside of the library, please visit this link to access New York Times for 72 hours. You will receive an email confirming your 72 hour access. You can access this link as often as needed.
- Novelist — EBSCO’s search database for booklovers, Novelist contains suggestions for your next selection from over 100,000 titles of fiction! Reviews, booklists, and “Read-Alikes”…sound interesting? Find out about other books from your favorite author or books of similar types. When outside the Library, please enter your Library card number when prompted.
- Novelist K-8 — EBSCO’s search database for bookloving kids with over 35,000 titles of fiction for students from Kindergarten through 8th grade.When outside the Library, please enter your library card number when prompted.
- ProQuest Central — A cross-disciplinary research tool with 30 databases that can be searched together or individually. This link takes you to the central access point for an array of ProQuest databases covering a variety of subjects.For links to individual databases within ProQuest Central, SEE BELOW. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Research Companion — Developed to help students do more effective research and assist educators in teaching the basics for information literacy core principles of finding, evaluating, and using information.Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Research Library — A mix of scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, and other timely sources across the top 150 subject areas, including the arts, business, education, engineering and technology, health and medical, history, law, literature and languages, multicultural themes, psychology, natural sciences, social sciences, & women’s studies. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Salem Press Online Collection — This collection offers access to select Salem Press titles in literature, American and world history, and science. Certain titles include biographical information and primary source materials. Critical Surveys of American Literature, Mythology, and Poetry and Defining Documents in American and World History are examples of the quality titles available in this collection. Additionally, H.W. Wilson Reference Shelf titles provide information on contemporary issues with primary and secondary sources.
- SIRS Researcher — Background and analysis on 350+ leading issues, providing pros and cons on social, scientific, health, historic, economic, political, and global issues.
Select HERE to Enter SIRS Researcher from home. Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- Techboomers is a free educational website that offers training on how to use online websites and resources, such as Facebook and Netflix.
- TumbleBook Library is a fun and interactive library of animated, talking story books for preschoolers, beginner readers and older independent readers. Read along and listen, or read on your own. TumbleBooks are created by taking existing story books, adding animation, sound, music and narration to produce an electronic (e-book) story book. TumbleBooks will help teach kids the joy of reading in a format they’ll love!
- University of Arkansas-Fort Smith Boreham Library Catalog — Search the catalog of the UAFS Boreham Library from any computer anywhere.
- ABI/INFORM Collection — Company research (profiles / annual reports); market research (industry, market & commodity reports), current business & economic conditions; management techniques & corporate strategies.
- Accounting, Tax & Banking Collection — Essential publications for information about the financial services industry, including accounting, tax, & banking industry trends.
- Arts & Humanities Database — Features hundreds of titles covering Art, Architecture, Design, History, Philosophy, Music, Literature, Theatre and Cultural Studies.
- Asian & European Business Collection — Provides information pertinent to the study of business and finance topics across Asia and Europe, including academic journals, newspapers, newswires, and magazines.
- Australia & New Zealand Database — Includes full-text journals published in Australia and New Zealand; major areas of study include business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- Biology Database — Wide range of research in biomedicine, biotechnology, zoology and ecology, and some aspects of agriculture and veterinary science.
- Business Market Research Collection — Contains company, industry, economic & geopolitical market research from three sources: Hoover’s Company Profiles, OxResearch from Oxford Analytica, and Snapshots.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs (CBCA) Database — Canadian focus on current events, business, education, science and medicine, arts, law, academia, and lifestyles.
- Canadian Newsstream — Canadian newspaper coverage from Prince Edward Island to Yukon Territory.
- Career & Technical Education Database — The definitive source for vocational information and career search resources for quick access to research on virtually any technical topic.
- Computing Database — Full text research on subjects such as database design, software development, web commerce, LANs, WANs, Intranets, and the Internet.
- Continental Europe Database — Full-text journals published in certain European countries covering business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- Criminal Justice Database — Comprehensive collection of U.S. and international criminal justice journals including information for professionals in law enforcement, corrections administration, drug enforcement, rehabilitation, family law, and industrial security.
- East & South Asia Database — Full-text academic journals published in various East Asian and South Asian countries covering business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- East & Central Europe Database — Full-text academic journals published in East and Central Europe covering business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- Education Database — Abstracts and indexing of over 900 education journals, many in full-text.
- Family Health Database — Covers subjects of value in the public library context – from sports injuries to women’s health, from food and nutrition to midwifery, from eye care to dentistry.
- Health & Medical Collection–Offers reliable, comprehensive journal coverage of clinical and biomedical topics, consumer health, health administration and more.
- Health Management — Provides reliable and relevant resources for researchers studying the field of health administration.
- India Database — A comprehensive, multidisciplinary resource of full-text, scholarly journals published in India, supporting business, medicine, science, technology, social sciences and humanities.
- International Newsstream — Provides the most recent news content outside of the US and Canada, with archives stretching back decades featuring newspapers, newswires, and news sites in active full-text format.
- Latin America & Iberian Database — A comprehensive, multidisciplinary resource of full-text, scholarly journals published in Latin American countries, Spain, and Portugal, supporting business, medicine, science, technology, social sciences and humanities.
- Library Science Database — Journal articles covering library science, online retrieval, archives, & information technology.
- Linguistics Database — Full-text database with scholarly journal articles and other sources covering all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics.
- Middle East & Africa Database — Full-text academic journals published in the Middle East and Africa covering business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- Military Database — Comprehensive collection of material on military subjects such as defense, aeronautics and space flight, civil engineering, political science, and more.
- Nursing & Allied Health Database — Provides users with reliable healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine meeting the needs of researchers at healthcare facilities as well as nursing and allied health programs at academic institutions.
- Political Science Database — Full-text of leading political science and international relations journals providing full-text coverage of many core titles included in Worldwide Political Science Abstracts.
- Psychology Database — Full-text coverage from top psychology and related publications covering topics from behavioral, clinical, cognitive, developmental, experimental, industrial and social psychology, along with personality, psychobiology and psychometrics.
- Public Health Database — Journal articles, magazines, news, reports and dissertations covering the core literature in the field of public health.
- Religion Database — Comprehensive collection of journals covering religious issues and perspectives, including religious news and information, commentary on topics of general interest from the perspective of a particular religion, and formal theological studies.
- Research Library — A mix of scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, and other timely sources across the top 150 subject areas, including the arts, business, education, engineering and technology, health and medical, history, law, literature and languages, multicultural themes, psychology, natural sciences, social sciences, & women’s studies.
- Science Database — Full text and images for the leading periodicals in science and technology, covering computers, engineering, physics, telecommunications, transportation and more.
- Social Science Database — Covering various aspects of economics, politics and society.
- Sociology Database — Full-text results from of leading sociology journals as well as full-text coverage of many core titles included in Sociological Abstracts.
- Telecommunications Database — Full text of top telecommunications industry publications. Includes magazines, journals, and newsletters, including graphics and images.
- World Book Portal — A portal to ALL of World Book databases listed individually below. Check out these excellent reference materials for students: Paid for with LSTA funds administered by the Arkansas State Library.
- World Book Kids — A general reference Web site developed especially for young students with easy-to-read articles, thousands of illustrations, videos, comparison tools, and a wealth of engaging games and activities, including an atlas, interactive maps, flags, and over 200 game and activities.
- World Book Online Timelines — A resource for accessing or creating timelines for projects in the arts, literature, notable people, science & technology, world history, geography and more.
- World Book Early World of Learning — Developed with experts on early childhood education, the Early World of Learning is the premier online resource for preschoolers and children in the early elementary grades.
- World Book Student — A research tool tailored for students in elementary & middle schools with over 40,000 encyclopedia and reference articles, 10,000 + biographies, multimedia, videos, animations and student activities.
- World Book Online Info Finder — A resource for elementary & middle school students at the public library looking for help with their homework and research projects. This includes over 40,000 encyclopedia and reference articles, over 10,000 biographies, an atlas, interactive maps, outline maps, science projects and more.
- World Book Advanced — World Book Advanced is a powerful reference tool that includes encyclopedia, multimedia, e-book, and primary source databases, fully integrated in a single search.
- World Book Online Reference Center — A customizable interface tailored to the needs and skills of the public library users, high school age & above, providing a reference tool that has an encyclopedia, multimedia, e-book, and primary source databases in a fully integrated a single search.
- World Book Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos — World Books Online encyclopedia for younger children is also available in Spanish!
ProQuest Central Databases
Links Directly to Individual Databases within ProQuest Central
- Turkey Database — Full-text journals published in Turkey covering business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- U.K. & Ireland Database — Full-text journals published in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland covering business, science, technology, engineering, social sciences, education, and humanities.
- U.S. Newsstream — Enables users to search the most recent premium U.S. news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s featuring newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites in active full-text format.
Additional ProQuest Databases
- AGRICOLA — Literature citations for journal articles, monographs, proceedings, theses, patents, translations, audiovisual materials, computer software, and technical reports pertaining to all aspects of agriculture.
- Entrepreneurship — Designed for entrepreneurs wanting quick access to the latest information on business topics, quick links to the most highly sought information, and recommendations from experts in Editor’s Picks.
- Ethnic NewsWatch — Bilingual (English and Spanish) and comprehensive full text database of newspapers, magazines, and journals from ethnic, minority, and native presses.
- Environmental Science Collection — This collection will help students/researchers identify and analyze environmental problems (natural and human-made), evaluate the relative risks associated with these problems, and help to examine alternative solutions for resolving and/or preventing them.